Despite the benefits of being a SEO content writer, it also carries its challenges. For example, understanding topics that they have never heard about, demonstrating creativity in their writing are among the challenges. While writing SEO content writing content writers face several challenges. Anything without challenges is boring because challenges mould and train us. Although some challenges can drain us, it is a good idea to ask for help when we encounter them.
As you might expect, the problem is not with the industry itself. There is a problem with our approach. Sorry but yes, It is the content writers who are to blame for the problem.
We set daily goals in terms of SEO content writing, be it web content, landing pages, blogs, product descriptions, sales pages, social media postings, slogans, and using SEO tools to ensure that the output is relevant and can bring visitors to a business website, etc. SEO content writing is not an easy task; it requires specialized knowledge and skill sets. There are several challenges content writers face while creating unpredictable SEO content. To become a better SEO content writer, you need time and effort.
Listed below are some of the major challenges that writers encounter when creating SEO friendly content, and how Semrush content marketing suite comes to the rescue by completely changing your writing routine and hiccups!
1. Research, research, and even more research
Writing great content requires you to know your subject inside out, upside down, and from every angle. Almost every content writer understands precisely how a domain or two works. Nonetheless, as a content writer you will encounter hundreds of projects that require content from areas you were unaware existed. In order to tackle such challenges successfully, it is imperative to conduct thorough research and put in-depth resources so as to deliver a well-prepared and statistically accurate piece of content. You must remember this to leave a lasting impression on your reader, as well as your client.
Pro Tip: It’s your friend, the Internet. No doubt! You will probably find dozens of websites and/or articles written by other writers that can provide great insight into almost any topic you choose. YouTube is another option. There are many videos available online that can give you a clear explanation of the topic simply by searching for it.
In addition, you can read comments and reviews from other users. These are widely available on virtually every website, social media platform, and online forum, and provide an excellent way to find out how people feel about any given topic or product.
2. Limitations on content creativity
As a seo content writer, you may also face restrictions on creativity. Whenever a client or a website hires a writer for seo content writing, they expect the writer to supply content that suits their business needs. Therefore, professional content writers find that they have limited scope for creativity, sometimes to their dismay.
3. Lack of Ideas
Even though you’re certain you could write an article, you have no ideas of what you should write about. All of us experience it from time to time, but the good news is that there is a way to deal with it. Below are some ways on how to get writing ideas.
- Take time to observe nature. You can get some of your best ideas observing trees around you, your dog, or anything else in nature.
- Read whatever you can get your hands on (good, of course). You’ll never run out of ideas if you read. Count on anything coming your way as an opportunity to learn something new that can enhance your writing.
- Do your homework before writing. You can spark your own ideas by using Google, social media sites, and websites.
- Identify content topics: As strange as it sounds, the SEO content writing process begins even before you start writing. The reason is you need to write content that your target audience cares about if you want to be successful with SEO and content marketing.
4. Title/Headline Trouble
This is likely a situation you have already encountered. You have written your piece, but the title is blank at the top. Despite staring at it for such a long time, the ideas just don’t come.
You don’t need to worry. Even when you run out of title suggestions, there is an easy fix.
Focus on your research instead of staring. There are probably already masterpieces written on your topic, or a similar topic. Learn about their content and use it to inspire ideas for your own titles. If you want to become more productive and to get ideas more quickly, you can create a knowledge bank. Ask team members which title they believe is best after coming up with two or three options. It is always better to have more than one opinion.
Semrush Topic Research to the Rescue!
If you do not know where to start, Semrush topic research tool will lift off the burden. All you have to do is click on topic research, and enter your topic or domain to find content on. Semrush will analyze your rivals’ content and give you ideas to write winning content by organizing them in the following manner as Cards, Explorer, Overview & Mindmap view :
- Volume : You will get a list of most searched keywords
- Difficulty: Ranking for a highly competitive keyword will be difficult. Semrush will show the keyword difficulty, so, you may choose a less competitive keyword
- Title/Headlines: Semrush will give you a list of headlines that will make your topic research easier and come up with well thought out Title variations for your piece.
- Frequently Asked Questions : It is always a good idea to address the real problems faced by people. Semrush shows a list of questions asked by people around the world on a particular topic. Answering this will help you make your content more relatable to your target audience. Also, this helps one get listed on the SERP feature snippets.
- Related Searches and Phrases (LSI keywords): Keywords associated with your content’s topic are known as LSI keywords. LSI keywords can boost your SEO.
There are two main reasons why LSI keywords are beneficial: First, LSI keywords help Google better understand the topic of your page. Second, when you use LSI terms, you won’t only rank for your target terms… but also for their related terms.
- You can also filter the trending subtopics first for a particular topic.
The challenge of ensuring readability is crucial to seo content writing. Some writers tend to wander off from the core objective of the content subject when they are carried away by their thoughts and ideas. Occasionally, writers demonstrate their language proficiency by using complicated or uncommon terms, which may hinder the content’s readable quality.
Developing readable content: You can enhance your content’s readability by following these tips:
- Prepare captivating introductions for your copies. Make sure your readers are hooked from the beginning.
- Make sure your paragraphs are short, your headings are clear, and your graphics are appropriate.
- For increased proficiency in writing, you can take courses on content writing.
- Use language that your readers can understand, as if you were speaking to them. Choose mindful words and make catchy headings. Refrain from being repetitive.
Semrush SEO Writing Assistant to the Rescue
Semrush SEO Writing Assistance checks if your texts follow the best SEO recommendations, and that too in real time. You can also check your content readability score along with any potential title & content issues.
Here the quick rundown of Semrush SEO Writing Assistant:
- Uses the Flesch reading-ease score formula. For English, this formula is shown below. For German, French, Spanish, Italian and Dutch, coefficients differ.
- Checks for content originality to avoid any potential plagiarism issues
- Tone of voice of your writing, including the choice of words, their order, rhythm, and pace. If chosen carefully, tone of voice would build trust and set the business apart from the competitors.
- As you type, your content is automatically checked for SEO-friendliness based on your target keywords.
- Available as Google Docs extension
6. Combining creativity with SEO
Understanding your clients’ or your audiences’ needs is key. By using an SEO strategy, you can provide solutions to your target audience’s problems. Therefore, while you are striving for creativity, make sure your content complies with SEO objectives.
I won’t go into all the details of optimizing your content here; that’s a whole other guide. As a quick refresher, here’s what you need to do to optimize your web content:
It’s best to do keyword research before you begin writing an article if you hope to generate traffic from search engines. Therefore, you can write toward areas (or small keyword niches!) where a large quantity of search traffic already exists – in other words, focus on topics (or keywords!) that already have a lot of search traffic.
Optimize your content for maximum searchability by using keywords strategically. The SEOMoz On Page Optimization Guide is a great resource to begin with.
Organizing your content logically is essential. The technique not only improves SEO, but it also enables your visitors to easily find other content that is related. This in turn, increases the length of time visitors stay on your site.
7. Unknown Topics to Write About
SEO content writing can be challenging at times, especially when you have no background knowledge of the subject matter. This may cause difficulties in understanding the information and creating the content. Moreover, you may be limited by your own time.
It is quite common for me to face such challenges as a technical writer. The following points can help you confront these challenges:
- Research findings from multiple sources available on the web
- Obtain more information by watching videos if no theoretical material is available
- To better understand research material, take help from others
8. Getting over writer’s block
The problem of writer’s block or misery block is when writers cannot express themselves or feel depressed for not creating relevant, informative, and engaging content. Usually, these feelings of negativity are caused by past failures and criticism. All content writers have to deal with this issue. The important part is how you handle it.
- Freewrite to improve your skills. The process assists you in improving your thinking skills. For increased writing skills, it is recommended that writers develop a prompt writing strategy.
- You can listen to music
- Enjoy nature by taking a walk
- Brainstorm possible ideas
- Make reading a habit
- Distractions must be avoided
- Feel good by spending time with people you like
9. Content that is poorly structured
Even though writing down everything that comes to mind can make for great content, most of the time it ends up poorly structured. How you put ideas together will determine if your text is readable. The structure of your blog determines its quality, and it may be problematic if you are new to blogging.
The outline can be your best friend if this happens way too often. Stay organized by creating a simple blueprint before writing your content. Start by writing down the main points you want to be sure to include in the content.
Semrush SEO Content Template to the Rescue
Semrush SEO Content Template helps you create well-crafted SEO-friendly content templates by analyzing your rivals’ content and give you ideas to write a winning optimized content. You just have to enter keywords that you want to target with your content. Semrush will analyze content based on Google’s top 10-ranking pages for your target keywords, and provide recommendations on how to create SEO-friendly content. Voila!
What you can achieve with Semrush SEO Content Template?
- Enrich your text with semantically related words.
- You can try to acquire backlinks from suggested domains
- Average readability score of your top 10 competitor URLs
- Recommended text length of your content
- See how your competitors use your target keywords (occurrences)
- Export to DOC
- and much more
10. Content promotion
To make your SEO content writing successful, you need to actively promote it (for example, by posting it on Medium and other websites where it can reach a wider audience), and make new content more visible by sharing it on social networks and attracting links from external websites.
Semrush Content Audit/Post Tracking to the Rescue!
Just by entering your domain and or post URL you would be able to visualize:
- The amount of referral traffic that comes to your content from a given article since its publication date.
- The number of keywords your content is ranking in Google top 100
- Estimated number of people that could have seen your content
- Total number of Facebook and Twitter shares
- Total number of backlinks your content has acquired.
Throughout this article, I have presented general problems and challenges content writers encounter when they start their SEO content writing journey, along with useful tips for dealing with them more quickly and efficiently. Also I have explored how a SEO content writer can address these issues, and figure out how to fix them with Semrush content marketing toolkit.
As a content writer I have faced many challenges, did fair share of mistakes and finally able to overcome it with the help of Semrush content marketing suite, specially with SEO Writing Assistant and SEO Content Template module. These toolset have dramatically changed my content writing routine and overcome the challenges including but not limited to topic research, content planning, keyword analysis, SEO recommendations, social engagement, link acquisition.
It has always helped me to tailor my content to my audience’s needs, and ensure my content will have a positive impact. A couple of seconds is all it takes to do what might normally take me 5-10 minutes. It was useful when grading my content. Specifically, I was impressed with the keyword suggestions and competition insights. Love it! What about you?